Question: Should we indicate required fields or optional fields in forms?
Only display an (optional) field indicator, not a *required field indicator.
- Less noise in the UI if we are following the UX pattern to only include required fields in the form.
- This option will require a component style change.
Only display a *required field indicator, not an (optional) field indicator.
- NN Group suggests that display *required fields is a more familiar pattern.
- Does not require a component style change.
- Will add UI to the form in more scenarios than if only (optional) fields were indicated.
Option 2. Display *required fields using an asterisk. Do not add (optional) to unrequired fields.
- Use a red asterisk.
- The asterisk should be to the left of the first character of the label.