Question 1: For inputs in a form which is in edit mode should labels be placed on top of fields or to the left? should the labels be bold?
List of options
- Labels to the left of fields and in bold
- Labels placed on top of fields and not bold.
- Consistent with old (v1) Hub practices
- Alignment issues in forms when labels are of different lengths.
- old Hub solved this problem by providing a lot of space between labels and fields. An option that inefficiently uses space.
- Format will take too much space in two column page layouts.
- Format doesn't work well when we want to have two closely related fields next to each other. Too much space is used.
- Bolded labels provide very limited value to the user. We are wasting this visual weightage by using it on such a common default setup.
- Label and field combo is always consistenly laid out no matter the label length
- Format works with use space well with two column page layouts
- Format works for related fields presented next to each other. (Screenshot of first name and last name fields next to each other)
- The close proximity of the label to the field makes the need to bold the labels even more rendundant. We can put visual weightage to better use.
- Goes against practices of old (v1) Hub. Creates inconsistency between older apps and newer ones.
Option 2 This field/label format can be consistently applied across different page layouts. The inconsistency it creates between new apps and old apps is acceptable due to the flexibility it offers.